Opportunity – IT & Engineering Open Doors
We Value IT and Engineering in Missions
Not all missionaries are preachers or teachers.
Not all missionaries are preachers or teachers. Some are innovators who apply science and mathematics to develop new systems or structures. Others are fluent in binary code, HTML or programming languages that enable them to design websites, apps and networking solutions. Are you someone with these skills?
Examples of IT and engineering in missions
- Jenna works as a programmer for a team of people using media, websites, apps and videos to share the gospel with people who speak Arabic.
- Antonio engineers systems for clean water in rural areas, allowing him to meet with a wide range of people in one region.
- Beth and Jon are both engineers working on clean power solutions as alternatives to fossil fuels in a Muslim-majority country.
- James runs a company serving organizations that outsource their IT needs and shares the gospel with industry colleagues.
Expertise, work experience and education open doors for people with specialized abilities to work among other highly trained individuals. And we want to send people through those doors in pursuit of sharing the gospel with those who have never heard it. Jobs in engineering and IT allow access to people and places that are difficult to reach.
Here’s what one Pioneers missionary says about his work in IT and missions
We recently interviewed John, a Pioneers missionary who has an IT business in Asia. We asked him how he would encourage people who have IT skills and are also interested in missions. Here’s what he told us.
There’s a beauty in how technology is changing the way we work today. People with IT backgrounds are in high demand everywhere. Sometimes it seems like this work keeps you behind a computer or could be done from your own home country. But within the context of missions, IT can provide so many benefits!
“IT can provide so many benefits!”
“As an entrepreneur in the online marketing space, I have flexibility. So, I schedule my day however it best fits the needs of my family and missions opportunities that come up. Also, my overhead is low, which allows me to hire people more easily. I have an opportunity to provide exposure and economic benefit to a community that might not have it otherwise.” (Read more of John’s story of how IT and gospel ministry intertwine.)
Interested in seeing if your IT or engineering skills could be useful on the mission field?
More opportunities in Pioneers
- Read about Mark, an engineer in the Arab world.
- Learn about building bridges through business.
- See Scalpels and Stethoscopes: Explore Mission Opportunities in Healthcare
- And take a look at When Your Mission Is to Teach: Opportunities for Educators
Stories from the pursuit
The Relentless Challenge Giveaway
Celebrate our anniversary with us! Enter a drawing to win a pound of fair-trade coffee, an insulated mug to drink it in and a journal and pen to record your world-changing dreams.
Opportunity: Learn about Muslims and Islam
Is God calling you to serve in the Muslim world or among Muslims close to home? Go prepared.
Explore Serving with Pioneers
You don’t have to have it all figured out. Just take the next step to explore God’s leading. Come to Orlando for a week so we can get to know each other.